Saturday, May 29, 2010

What I'm reading: "Treasure in Clay"

At the recent Southeast Deanery meeting in Dayton, one topic we learned about was some of the spiritual habits of Bishop Fulton Sheen. I was fortunate enough to be able to borrow his autobiography, Treasure in Clay. A little background here: I've had an icky week. We've been busy at work, I've had doctors' appointments, haven't felt all that great, have big decisions to make and I need to clean house and pack for vacation.

Last night, this sentence (page 103) helped the perspective immensely.

(This part is my paraphrase)  The disciples were out fishing, caught nothing, then Jesus tells them to put their net in again.  Now the net contains 153 fish.  It was a reminder of the original mission he gave them...

"Implicit, too, was the truth: 'Without Me you can do nothing . . . nothing. Before He gives strength, He makes us feel our emptiness."

If you can find a copy of this book, read it.

No comments: