Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Summons

The summons came in the mail.  Jury duty.  What are they thinking?  I was just there - 12 years ago or so.  And right there on the paper is says: "Jury Summons  Do Not Discard."

I looked up the definition of summons.  Here's what google says:

  • bidding: a request to be present; "they came at his bidding"
  • an order to appear in person at a given place and time
  • summon: call in an official matter, such as to attend court


Actually, if I don't fill out the form and sent it back, or if I don't show up, I'd get charged with contempt of court.  They'll come lookin' for me!

We have a song called The Summons in our music books at church.
"Will you come and follow me if I but call your name?"  Who, me?
"Will you go where you don't know and never be the same?"  Well that takes a leap of faith and it depends on where we're going.
"Will you let my love be shown? Will you let me name be known?"  Sure. when people ask me first.
"Will you let my life be grown in you and you in me?"  OK, that parts sounds pretty good.

How come we get our hiney's to jury duty, but when God calls, we pretend we don't hear.  Free will is a gift, but do we use our free will for things that REALLY matter?  What will it take for people to say "yes" to God when he calls them?  God has called you and me!  But unlike jury duty, when I just have to show up once (hopefully less) God's summons has me going back to him every day (or more often.)  I like it that way.  I sometimes call that "daily bread."

If we want His life to be grown in us and us in him, we probably should go and follow when he calls our name.  But it does take a leap of faith to answer that summons.  And it's worth everything.

Lord your summons echoes true when you but call my name.
Let me turn and follow you and never be the same.
In Your company I'll go where Your love and footsteps show.
Thus I'll move and live and grow in you and you in me.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Awesome insight. That is not where my mind goes when I receive one of those! Hopefully it is just a county one and not for District Court.

Julie said...

Yes, it's the Poky county court. There's always the chance they'll settle before that date, I hope!

Anonymous said...

You are right, you have been "Summoned."
If you do sit on a case you have your awsome ability to discern what is right.