Friday, January 21, 2011

Arms of Love - a great book

If you'd see my reading stack, you would know that I've read almost no fiction in the last few years.  I've mostly been reading books to keep up spiritually, so this book was quite a surprise.  Arms of Love was first recommended to me by Fr. Brad.  He also recommended it for my son, the dating teen-ager.



Fr. Brad told about this book at least a year ago.  I dilly-dallied around, finally ordered it.  I looked at it a while, then finally started reading it.  I put it down after about 10 chapters, knowing I'd have to finish it some day.

Well, the last time I saw Fr. Brad (a couple weeks ago), he reminded me that it was a good book.  A week later, I picked it up again, and couldn't put it down.  He was almost right - it's a great book! (Too bad I can't drive and read!)    Here's the website.

It's fiction, it's Catholic.  What a refreshing combination.  Joanie gets a new job at a TV station.  Brandon is the lover-boy looking for another girl to conquer.  This book is about chastity, courting, sacraments, true love and family.  And even though it's fiction, it's got quite a message for evangelizing.  

A bit of a warning, though.  I'm not sure everyone prays before the Blessed Sacrament before they go out for dinner on a date.  Some people struggle a lot in their journey to the Catholic faith, but not much here.  Parts like that seemed kind of hokey.  But...

BUT, those were the times that made me realize what little things I can actually do to increase my prayer time and to let others know that I will live what I say I am.  It also gave some great verbage to say when people ask about my faith.  So, through this novel, there was a lot to learn.

I could use your prayers for getting the son to read it, don't know how that will go over yet.

I'm wanting to order the sequel, Surrender.  There's a special when you order 10 books or more mix-and-match.  You in? 

1 comment:

Robin C said...

You can include me in on both. I used to read a lot of Christian Fiction but none was ever Catholic. You might want to add "Confessions of a Mega Church Pastor" by Allen Hunt to your list if you have not already. Great book of converts and cradle Catholics. His honesty about Protestant religions and the Methodist hit hard for me but he is SO right.