Sunday, September 12, 2010

Where Do Priests Come From? - A Book Review



Bezalel Books has published a charming book written by Elizabeth Ficocelli entitled Where Do Priests Come From?

Great for a family library, perfect for your parish or Catholic school library, this book presents in a positive, gentle way, that priests are normal people with a special job.  Priests wear dark clothes with a white collar (until I read the book, I didn't know it had a special meaning!), but priests have pajamas, too.  Priests help people encounter Jesus in many important ways (sacraments) but priests also might like to fish or golf!  

The book would be a great way to help the reader "break the ice" when talking to a priest.  Getting to know more about one's priest will help develop a friendship between the priest and his young (or not so young) parishioners.

I truly wish I had this book when my sons were younger, so my copy will make the rounds at my local Catholic school.  Then, it'll be going to our diocesan vocations director.  

Where Do Priests Come From? is Elizabeth Ficocelli's 11th book and is endorsed by Fr. Donald Calloway, author of No Turning Back: A Witness to Mercy and by Rev. W. Shawn McKnight, Executive Director of the Secretariat of Clergy, Consecrated Life, and Vocations, USCCB.

I am thrilled to see that they have planned more books for this series, Where do Sisters Come From? and Where Do Deacons Come From?.  What a wonderful tool for parents and teachers to introduce the Catholic faith to young learners.  

No comments: