Monday, August 15, 2011

Great Things

Happy Feast Day! August 15 brings the feast day of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Today's Mass readings included the fiat, or Mary's response to her relative, the expectant and elderly, Elizabeth.

"For the Lord has done great things for me," Mary proclaims.

Great things. Hmm. What would Mary consider "great" "things"? Mary didn't have an ipod, a new phone, satellite TV, or probably even a book. I've been thinking about what makes things great.

Like us, Mary was given life. Mary may have had siblings, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles. Those are great things. An angel's visit would be a great thing - to me, anyway. Mother of the redeemer is bigger than great in my opinion.

My great things, I've decided are life, a house, family, my faith, a nice day, my good ol' Malibu, a day with friends, a glass of wine. I think that even my little things are great things.

Be thankful for great things. Depending on how you look at it, even little things are great.

No comments: