Monday, February 7, 2011

What does matter?

I was visiting with a friend about all the activities going on, such as 40 Days for Life, pro-life day at the capitol, pregnancy crisis center fund raisers and the list goes on.

These are important things.  But something feels like its missing.  DO NOT get me wrong.  These are organizations that matter and change lives of many.

While we were visiting, my friend replied to me that good deeds won't get you to heaven.  Only holiness will.

I've been thinking about that for a while now.  What does matter?  There are some awful nice people who don't believe in God.  Yet, some pious people seem to have good works follow everywhere they go.  Some don't.  There are some people who live for more events to go to.

But where does God fit in?  Is He lost in the shuffle?  Are we so busy looking for good deeds to do that we lose sight of God?

So, what should be the priority?  What does God care about?  Fr. R. had some materials on my desk last week, they were from In the Arms of Mary.  I decided to check out their website, here's their quote for the day:
What Matters To God
"You, and not what you do for God, are all that matters to Him." (from the book, The Two Pillars, pg. 36, which apparently needs to go on my reading list.)

As we prepare for Lent, remember that YOU are what matters to God.  Start planning now to make that your priority.  Plan on experiencing his love like never before.

No comments: