Thursday, July 1, 2010

Review: Our Jewish Roots


I've just finished reading Our Jewish Roots: A Catholic Woman's Guide to Fulfillment Today by Connecting with her Past.  Being a convert, the whole Jewish history part intrigued me.  Being a fan of the feminine genius, I was more than curious.

The first part of the book tells of the history of some Jewish customs and beliefs that shed light on why Catholics do what they do and what makes the rituals so special.  I read and reread the sections on the Immaculate Conception and Feminine Genius.  What an ultimate pick-me-up!

The last part of the book introduces the reader to numerous women of the Bible, some who don't even have a name, but it describes the huge role they had in Salvation History.  Each chapter starts with a excerpt from JPII's Mulieris Dignitatum, and gives strength to women of today as we go through those hard times in our lives.  Really, I don't know if I'd have the strength of Noah's wife.  Think about all she did:  the support she gave her family, she lost all her friends in a flood as her family was chosen to be saved, she endured ark-dwelling with family and all those animals - and we don't even know her name.


The book is written in a way that perfectly explains and makes complete sense even to this ordinary lay(wo)man.  I'm anxious for you to read it, too.

We'll have books available for purchase at our retreat or it's available from the publisher or at amazon.com.  It's a perfect compliment to what we'll be learning at our retreat in August.  I know you'll love it as much as I did, what a wonderful read! 

No comments: